How to update the QBoxHD
The update is necessary to implement all the bug fixes and new development done for the QBoxHD. There are two parts of Box that can be updated.
• Boot Update. Boot Update will update the NOR memory inside the QBoxHD which contains Kernel, UBoot and other basic function of the QBoxhd. Boot Update files have the extension “.qhu”
• File System Update. File System is the update of the internal USB Pen of your QBoxHD. Standard sales configuration of the QBoxHD contains a 1GB USB Pen for storage of small contents or setting or third party applications.
Note: ALL UPDATE PROCEDURES MAY CHANGE ACCORDINGLY WITH DEVELOPMENT IMPROVEMENTS. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE LATEST UPDATED USER GUIDE OR TUTORIAL FROM THE OFFICIAL WEB SITE IN ORDER TO GET THE LAST CHANGES.
This procedure explains how to update the Boot Update and FileSystem Image.
IMPORTANT NOTE: To void versioning problems make sure the Boot Update and FileSystem Image! Please read inside the FileSystem archive which version of Boot Image to use and viceversa.
What is needed
The Hardware needed to update your QBox is the following:
1. PC with Windows OS. Windows XP and Windows Vista are supported.
2. 1x LAN Cable. Ethernet cable can be direct or cross cable. To update the Boot Image. and/or 1x USB Pen min. 1GB. USB Pen is needed to perform the FileSystem Update only.
3. 1x LAN Switch, HUB or Router. This is needed to maintain a stable the connection with the QBox. On some PC running Windows Vista OS it is strongly recommended to put a LAN Switch, HUB or Router while it may not be needed on Windows XP.
Boot Update will update the NOR memory inside the QBoxHD which contains Kernel, UBoot and other basic function of the QBoxHD. Boot Update files have the extension .qhu Boot Update can be done ONLY using QBox HD Updater software. Boot Update is a hard update and needs to turn OFF and then ON the QBox.
1. Download the latest updating software version can be downloaded from the official web site www.qboxhd.com or www.duolabs.com and install it on your PC.
2. Connect the QBox to your network using cross or direct LAN cable.
It is recommended to connect the QBox to a LAN Switch, HUB or Router to prevent data loss or timeout on some Windows OS
3. Temporary remove the Window’s Firewall (this may cause failure in establishing the connection) .
4. Launch the QBox HD Updater software:
The first time QBox HD Updater is launched it will ask for the IP address. To discover the IP address of your QBox please check the LAN configuration
See chapters 10.7 and 10.8
Standard parameters are:
Password: qboxhd (low case) At the end press “Save” and you will be directed to the main software window.
To start Boot Update press the “Update Button”.
Choose the .QHU file.
Turn OFF and ON the QBox and the upload will start automatically. When finished a message will appear
The most convenient and easy way to update the QBoxHD FileSystem Image is via USB Pen in stand-alone mode.
1. Download the latest QBoxHD update file and make sure the file you are using has the correct extension .tbz
2. Uncompress the .tbz file into a blank USB Pen (FAT 32 formatted). Using WinRar. All files must be inside the folder “qboxhd_update”. Make sure qboxhd_update folder is in the main root of the USB Pen and the files and contained in the qboxhd_update directory and not in a subdirectory.
3. Plug the USB Pen in one of USB ports.
4. Turn the QBoxHD OFF.
5. Turn the QBoxHD ON. (Make sure the USB Pen is connected)
6. Wait until the QBoxHD is booting up.
7. When finished remove the USB Pen and turn On the QBoxHD
FileSystem can be also updated via LAN. In this case follow the same procedure as the Boot Update and choose directly the .tbz file instead of .QHU
DO NOT TURN THE RECEIVER OFF WHILE THE UPDATE IS IN PROGRESS. IT MAY TAKE SEVERAL MINUTES!!
Checking Image version.
To Check the Image version you are running follow the this procedure
1. If no OSD menu is visible on your screen, press the Menu-Button to open the main OSD menu.
2. Navigate to the option “Information” and press the OK-Button to select.
3. The “Information” menu will open up. Navigate to the option “About…” and press the OK-Button. This window shows all relevant information about the Hard- and Firmware of your QBoxHD.
4. Press the OK-Button to close this menu.
5. Look at the first line. Enigma: Version date
FILESYSTEM VERSION AND BOOT IMAGE VERSION BUT BE MATCHING EACH OTHER.
USING AN UPDATED FILESYSTEM IMAGE AND AN OUTDATED BOOT IMAGE OR VICEVERSA
MAY CAUSE SEVERAL USAGE PROBLEMS!!